2022 Project Updates
Cafeteria renovations began in summer 2022. To start, we repainted the space over the summer and it has really freshened everything up. The microwave area has been updated with a new buffet table that looks really nice. New bulletin boards have been installed, and we kicked these off by displaying pictures of Bobcat adventures from the summer. New soundboards have been installed in school colors – red, black, and white, and we installed a new ViewSonic projector that can be used for classes and meetings. Most recently our new vinyl panels went up – one that says “St. Columban School” with our school logo, and the other with our key values, “Faith. Family. Future.”
There are two key elements we are waiting on to close this project out. New round tables, several of which will have the school logo emblazoned on them, are coming and will be where the 8th graders sit during lunch, and will be available for any other teacher and faculty needs. Finally, we are putting in a fresh, new, gray-colored floor. We anticipate both of these will come in over the Christmas break. If you have not been to the cafeteria recently, we invite you to stop by next time you are in the building.
Over the summer we began refreshing the outdoor space outside of the middle school hallway, transforming it into a Memorial Garden for the school. Previously, especially after rainfalls, this area became muddy and slippery as students walked in and out of this entrance. New paved walkways have been installed, alongside fresh landscaping. The PTO is working with a landscaper on building a memorial structure which will be used to honor students, alumni, faculty, administrators, and coaches from our St. Columban School community. When the space has been fully completed, we plan to host an opening dedication service. We will share those details as they become available.
2022 365 Raffle Results
Our Dino-Themed 365 Raffle was tremendously successful – THANK YOU to each and every member of our school community for coming together and delivering these amazing results:
● 4,772 tickets sold!
● $71,500 raised
● Because every. single. family. sold tickets, students earned an Out Of Uniform day!
● Students earned November 4 as a day off school!
● In honor of hitting all our goals, Mrs. Muchmore greeted students dressed as a dinosaur on our final Friday, and Mrs. Muchmore and Officer Vicky exchanged whipped cream pies to the face at our Close-Out All-School Assembly (If you haven’t seen the video, it’s a must watch! Check it out on our Facebook page).
Here is a recap of our winners!
● Family Award Winner Week 1: Hirsch Family ($250 OR Private Movie Viewing Party)
● Family Award Winner Week 2: Quehl Family ($500 cash OR Family Gold Passes to Kings Island)
● Family Award Winner Week 2: Fulks Family (12 Month Social Membership to Oasis Golf Club)
● #stc365 Social Media Winner: Shrewsbury Family ($100)
● Top 4 Student Ticket Sellers (each winning $100) - Jack Rigby, Caleb Tabor, Jax Jordan, Austin English
● Runner Up Student, coming in 5th Place: Luke Kasselman ($50)
● Top Selling Homeroom: 1B Mrs. Kallmyer (Bowling Party @ Eastgate Lanes)
● Homerooms Winning Pizza Parties: KA Mrs. Falter, 5B Mrs. Judd, 7B Mrs. Zizelman
● Homeroom Winning Popsicle Party: KB Mrs. Stevens
Thank you to everyone for your incredible support!
Project Wish List
Given the success of our Raffle, the PTO is already thinking ahead to what more we want to do to enhance the school community. Here is what is on our list:
● Working Garden: THIS IS A GO!!! We are partnering with Mrs. Worpenberg, who brought us this idea, to create a working garden for school use. We can’t wait to see how much students learn and benefit from having this on our grounds.
● Drake Portable Planetarium
● Revamp additional outdoor areas, such as the trails, a dedicated outdoor classroom space, etc.
● Invest in additional playground equipment geared especially for our younger students in kindergarten and 1st grade
If you have other ideas, we’d love to hear them. Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out to anyone on the PTO board to share your suggestions.
Trunk Or Treat
Our annual Trunk or Treat took place on October 22nd – the turnout was great! Car decorations were spooky, creative, and impressive, the students (and even some parents!) looked awesome in their costumes, and the DJ and glow sticks really got the party going as the sun went down. Special thank you to the Knights of Columbus for manning the grill and popcorn stations. Events like this can’t happen without volunteers so thank you as well to everyone who helped out, both at the event or behind the scenes leading up to it. We can’t wait to do this again next year!
We will continue hosting many of the school events you know and love (and maybe even some new ones!) to foster a sense of community among our students, faculty, and parents. Coming up soon:
● Christmas Hallways We are looking for volunteers during the weekend of Dec. 3 to decorate – be on the lookout for a SignUp Genius. The teachers and students love the excitement this brings to the building during the Christmas season!
● Santa Event
● Easter Egg Hunt
If you are interested in helping, we would love to have your involvement. Whether it is just one hour of your time, or you want to chair a community event – we have something for you!